Friday, April 24, 2009

Frustration......Day 28

So today is day 28 of what seems to be a never ending process. A couple of months ago my husband and I decided we were ready to start a family. I knew this process would be strenuous, but I couldn't ever imagine the emotions I have felt thus far. I was diagnosed early (at the age of 16) with hypothalamic amenorrhea. That term is just a big word to explain that my brain doesn't release the hormones that would allow me to ovulate naturally. So while at 16 years old that was not a big deal to me, now I am having to face what I now feel to be a deformity in my body. So 28 days ago I began hormone therapy and am now forced to wait.....and wait... and wait. See here's the plan 1. A 30 day hormone therapy that should produce a menstrual cyle 2. Upon menses, go to the Doctors office to get levels checked 3. Once given the go ahead, I am to start Bravelle -a highly purified preparation of human follicle stimulating hormone (hFSH) and Menopur - a highly purified preparation of naturally derived gonadotropins, called hMG. ( I know this all sounds as if you need a MD to understand but once you become branded as being infertile, fertility treatments become your world. 4. after the hormone shots, I am to give myself a trigger shot that will help follicles mature and triggers ovulation (the release of mature eggs from ovaries). Finally, I'm off to the doctor's office for 2 consecutive days of IUI's..... I'm exhausted just thinking about it, but I pray in the end it's all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment